Monday, September 8, 2008

Oakland, CA, Where Fantasy Goes To Die

So we had great seats.

50 Yard line, 5th row. Almost close enough to whisper (not so) sweet nothings into the opposing team's ears.

Would that we had a thousand voices speaking in unison into the all too callous helmet ear hole of Jay Cutler, quarterback for the Denver Broncos, I doubt it would have made a lick'o'difference.


Honest truth is, the Oakland Raiders just plain suck.

I went tonight, not only to watch some sweet Monday night football, but also to see one of my star sleeper Football Fantasy picks, Daren McFadden, the new big bologna for the Oakland Raiders, do his thang. Thang is, his thang ain't nothing but a bunch of hype and a shoddy offensive line.

Maybe he'll be great one day. But not tonight. Denver isn't even supposed to be that good, but half way through the second half they were leading 27-0......man, there's not enough beer in Oakland to make that seem like a worthwhile game of ball'du'foot. And believe me, we looked.

Anyways, the implications this has on my Fantasy Football team for this year are not good. My first rounder, Joseph Addai, completely under performed this week. My second rounder, Randy Moss, lost his big daddy passer, Tom Brady, for the YEAR, and so it's a big "who knows." At least this week he didn't do fantastically, and when I need him for Fantasy, not doing fantastically is not so good.

The rest of my team doesn't even deserve mentioning.

Mostly, I'll be on a McFadden watch this year. He's the hometown Raider hope. And he's all I've got to be able to say, "I knew he'd be great," that is, if he turns out to be great. If not, well then nobody will be listening anyways, so bullocks!

Honestly, between the A's, the Warriors, and the Raiders, I think Oakland is just cursed to be the city where Fantasy goes to die.

At least until next week.......

1 comment:

Melanie Greenberg said...

shitty teams, but great scandals. like ellis and his mysterious ankle injury that the warriors are convinced he must have incurred while doing an "unauthorized activity." the evidence that they are compliing against him is all so very columbo. that kind of high stakes drama must be worth something in the world of fantasy, no? or only if ellis happens to be on one of your celebrity fantasy teams and--let's face it--why would he be?