Monday, August 11, 2008

All's Fair in Love and War (and especially Fantasy)

Rest in peace, Isaac Hayes. I will always remember you for your deep love makin' songs, especially that classic "Chocolate Salty Balls."



Yes, Chef has left us. Yes, it's a sad day for all Chocolate Salty Balls fans out there. And yes, he is on my Fantasy Celebrity team and will hopefully be helping me dominated my league(s) this coming week with a cover and centerfold story.

Shame on me, you say? Does it seem callous to be capitalizing on a great man's death, trying to score a few Fantasy points?

Shame on YOU, I say, for not getting to him sooner. And besides, I had to drop Miley Cyrus to make room on my roster, so don't think this whole interaction doesn't come with more than a little fear and trepidation on my side.

And to offend you further, it's not just Chef making news over the weekend with his departure from the planet:

http://www.usmagazine.com/Comedian-Bernie-Mac-Dies-at-50

We could run in circles debating the morality of adding a celebrity to my roster because they just died, but I think a friend of mine in another Celebrity league put it best, just after the tragic death of one of America's great acting talents, "I feel so bad about him dying, leaving his little girl without her papa, and maybe, just maybe, if some of us can score some points through the coverage of his untimely departure, it will go a small way to casting some positive light on the lost legacy of Heath Ledger."

Sensitive words co-mingling with strong Fantasy strategy almost always brings a tear to my eye.

Of course, this same friend did follow that quiet prayer with this "And to all you SUCKAS who were caught sleeping, eat dead celebrity cover dirt!!"



And we did. The Ledger bump kicked her into first place where she stayed until Angie catapulted a rival owner into first with the news of twins (but that's another story).

I'm not saying it's exactly morally defensible to opportunistically prey on the death and misery of our stars and heroes (okay I am). What I am arguing more particularly is that it is not the death, divorce or other specific drama that is being used for Fantastical gain. It is the COVERAGE of said death, divorce, and drama.

Very very different.

My case in point: Reality is only really real for those to whom it is directly happening. To the rest of us, it is Fantasy. And Fantasy is about scoring, regardless of the whys and hows.

And to me, this week at least, Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes kick Fantasy ASS!!

Be good, happy Fantasies.
Flooza.com for the Fantasy Challenged

2 comments:

Brad Bennett said...

Dude, that's pretty inappropriate. Not in a bad way, but still... inappropriate.

Melanie Greenberg said...

i don't think anything you said was unreasonably inappropriate except maybe the stuff about bernie mac. isn't there some kind of special exception rule in fantasy where certain, more awesome, less ridiculous famous people are entitled to some form of fantasy respect or fantasy death mourning?