Monday, August 18, 2008

Better Lucky than Good

May I introduce to you, hailing from the 9th selection seat of the 2008 XXFL Draft, the team that will not only not win this years championship, but will most likely not even make the playoffs:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you "3rd and LONG" (you might want to cover your eyes)

A VERY CRAPPY TEAM

Yesterday I spent the better part of a beautiful Sunday sitting on a friend's patio under the merciful shade of an umbrella, eating snackies, drinking beer, with a dozen other friends, staring intently into magazines and laptops as we called out in turn nearly 200 names of players for the upcoming season of Fantasy Football. I must admit, while I can play the part of the knowledgeable stat-nerd, the reality is that in this sport I am a frickin' idiot.

It's not that I don't get it, I just don't know it. Last year was my first try at Fantasy Football, and although I didn't lose every week of the season, I came pretty close. And last year the league I was in used an auto draft, so I didn't have to think too much. Flip side of that is that had I wanted to "think too much," it would not have helped me. Yesterday's draft was in person. The computer would not be making my picks for me. You see in order to do well in the bigger Fantasy Sports: Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, etc....you need to have a great knowledge of a majority of the players in the sport. All I know about Pro Football I have gleaned as a half-way interested 49ers fan, mostly paying attention when they are good, which hasn't been for a long, long, VERY long time.

This year is my fourth year of Fantasy Baseball, so I have had some time to acquaint myself with the 25 or so Pros on each of the two dozen Major League Baseball teams. That's why I have a fighting chance in my league this year. Experience and luck.

I admit it, my FFootball IQ is pathetic. I know most of the ten players who went in the first round of the draft and a handful of the rest of the 180 or so taken thereafter. Everything else is just random names, some telling stats, and a bunch of guessing. Guessing in this situation is fine if everyone else is guessing, or at least it's not the perfect recipe for getting spanked. But after just a couple rounds of the draft it was pretty clear that I was one of only a few guessers. We of the "I hope I get lucky" gang were surrounded by people who actually know the names of a majority of Offensive and Defensive Lines on a majority of the teams in the NFL.

NOT FAIR. Needless to say, as I'm low on experience, I'm praying to be high on luck.

That said, Fantasy Drafts, even when entering as an ill equipped fool, are totally AWESOME. Snacks. Beer. Friends. That's enough right there to make for a great Sunday. Add a handful of sunshine, two helpings of BBQ, a whole hearty side of smack talking (educated and not) and what you've got is a great time had by all.

Given that it cost each of us $100 to play in this league, and there are 10 entrants, this long Sunday of work will pay off pretty nicely for whomever actually drafted all the good players who slipped unseen through my porous grasp.

One pick I must say I am particularly proud of was in the 14th round (of 18). I took a man named Lofa Tatupu. I don't know where he's from or what his name means...it kinda sounds like a savory bread...but since he is a Linebacker (on of the big guys on defense that tries to attack the other team's quarterback) I hope his name translates to something like "CRAZY VICIOUS SACK DADDY." That's one thing I love about draft day - you can play whatever game you want. Some people go for the high risk high payoff players, some go for the well seasoned reliable strong players, and some go for the best SOUNDING players.

You play your game, I'll play mine, enjoy my 100 bucks, pass the 7 layer dip.

Another thing I really love about Fantasy drafts is the boundless hope. Everyone gathering together on that blessed day has a spring in their step. Some may have the shakes from too much coffee, but they are also hyper alert so as to catch any special value picks that might come their way. Most are smiling in the face of the approaching event which they have been anticipating for weeks, if not months. I was excited but numb in a way, knowing I was most likely about to have my ass handed to me. And for this I am paying?

But hey, I'm an optimistic guy, so I'll chew on hope. We'll see if that hope is still there a week from tomorrow, when our first head to head, team on team, test is done. First up I am going against a guy I've known since Jr. High. He's been in this league since it started five years ago. His name is not yet engraved on the trophy, but looking at his team I fear that I may just be a speed-bump as he accelerates in that direction.

Or maybe he will be the one sulking away with his tail between his legs after a tasting the wrath of my LOFA TATUPU!!

Be good, cross your fingers for me, and keep Fantasizing.

No comments: